Friday, July 22, 2011

Quote

I just want to be free, I just want to be me And I want lots of friends that invite me to their parties. I don’t want to change, and I don’t want to be ashamed. I’m the spirit of my Hair, it’s all the glory that I bare.
                                                                                            Hair- Lady GaGa

   As you know, My focus this summer is my hair. You can see here. I feel that hair is a Woman's glory, well its everyone's glory. Hair is one of the purest ways of expression being that it is on your head. What you do to your hair, at a certain point, is your decision and represents who you are. Earlier I was thinking "Am I my hair or am I not my hair". I feel that I am but a few years ago, India Arie had a song called I am not my hair:




 The song describes all the hair changes she has gone through in her life, being a black woman. A lot of people can identify with this(including me). She says "I am not my hair, i am not this skin, I am not your expectations.... I am the soul that lives within. But the saying "I am not my hair" seemingly contradicts with GaGa's "I am my hair". How I see it is even if my hair is the first thing you see, it does not define who a person is. My hair represents me and is apart of me but doesn't solely show who I am as a person. I personally do not judge anyone based on their hair so I am not sure what judgments can come from hairstyles. However, whilst scrolling on the blog "Black Girl Problems" I saw a post which said "Because you're natural(hair) everyone assumes that you're a soul sister who loves Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu." I found this very funny being that I am natural and I love both of those women. Basically you can do whatever you want to your hair and should not be judged based on it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow In MY Opinion